As I noted in my regular (old?) blog my wife and I have finally purchased a home in Sanford. It is close to work and offers us plenty of space for the boys at nearly 3,000SF. We are pushing to close in the next 3 weeks, which means I will be able to get the family down here and we will all be able to start spending some time getting to know the Sanford area.
Here are some things we are planning to do in our first 2-3 months in the city and greater central Carolina area:
1. Get to know the public library!
2. Subscribe to the Sanford Herald. I will be posting in the future as to why I believe their online subscription actually hurts them, but that can come later...
3. Visit Raven Rock State Park!
4. Join the local Christian homeschool group.
5. Transfer my boys to the local Boy Scouts troop.
6. Check out the Kendale Bowling Lanes.
7. Catch a show at Temple Theater.
8. Get lost in the Corn Maze and pick a pumpkin in the patch at Gross Farms.
On a side note: I am also wondering if we will venture up to Raleigh/Cary much. Apparently the greater Raleigh area is only 40 minutes away, where Greensboro is just over an hour. From what I have seen most people in the area relate more to Raleigh, and the newspaper I see most often other than the Sanford Herald is the Raleigh News and Observer. I have even been watching the Raleigh TV news station. Maybe we will get to know some things about the area a little further up US Highway 1 soon enough.
A little hint: My wife knows the area pretty well, already. She graduated from Meredith College. But that was about 14 years ago! So, I'm sure there is plenty more to see up there.